Monday, March 17, 2014

Gateway Orientation

In the first step of this long adventure, I flew out today to Los Angeles to attend my gateway orientation before I leave to Japan tomorrow.

I've been able to meet all the other students going to Japan from America, all of whom are very energetic and enthusiastic. We'll fly together tomorrow to Tokyo.

The orientation was very low-key, basic, "this is what to expect" information. A long lecture that put most of us very close to sleep.

It's late, though, and I've got a big day tomorrow. A more inclusive post can be expected soon.

Thanks for all your support!

日本、今行くよ!

1 comment:

  1. I"ve loved reading through all of your posts. It reminds me of the months I spent in Russia--seeing fresh new Americans streaming through after I'd gotten used to it. I think those who did the best and adapted the quickest were those who still let their personality shine through despite the lack of language. They would pantomime, smile and be friendly. Just shy of clowning. But it helped the Russians see that this was a complete person--a smart person. They just didn't happen to know Russian very well. As the language came, they could communicate more effectively but they were already friends with everyone. So when you aren't sure which garbage to put where, ask with a bewildered smile on your face-- "Help me understand because this is all very new to me" kind of thing.
    I'm sure you are already doing this, you are very aware of who you are, which is awesome. But if you feel like you can't be yourself until you can speak fluently (which many missionaries came out feeling), just go for it.
    Good luck!
    (Oh, and my host family when I taught English in Russia was super into conversing resources too. I don't ever remember them having a shower. And because I knew they looked down upon "wasting" water, I only showered on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I stunk.)

    ReplyDelete